Valid Art?

I've been trying to sort out my feelings about art and music. So many of my artist friends are very traditional in their approach. They try to paint like the masters. Its all well done. Its beautiful. I love the masters. Really, I do.
However..... I don't always go to the masters for inspiration. I wouldn't claim that Monet or Van Gogh or even Rembrandt are my favorites. I'm drawn to Hundertwasser, Basquiat, and other more experimental artists. I'm intrigued by something different and unique.
I don't mean to say that the masterpieces of the past are not interesting. I definitely refer back to them from time to time. I just don't get the same spark of excitement from them.

I feel the same way about music in general. I know people classically trained in music and they simply cannot understand how I can listen to some of the stuff I do. I can't completely explain it myself. I like so many different kinds of music and in some ways, I'm glad to not be trained in music. I worry that I would not enjoy as many bands/musicians as I do now. I would be much more critical. So much more dismissive of some of the experimental, raw music I like now.

So does that mean I just don't understand or get "quality" music and art? I'm not sure what it means. I do have a more critical attitude about movies and films. They have to be well done. I'm very critical of most hollywood productions. Somehow I've developed a "refined" taste in film.

Why do I not have that same refinement in music and art? I don't know.

My favorite music for the last couple of years comes from Amanda Palmer. She has a new album out and so far its amazing! I like the risks she takes. Perhaps that is one of the things I appreciate in music and art.


I find myself interested in women singers with a bit of a dark side to them. Amy Winehouse and Lana Del Rey for example. I admit, I've always been dark but not always in my taste in music. well, mostly.


There is no explanation for this except that my Dad is sort of the same way. He has always been obsessed with Hank Williams Sr. and some of his contemporaries. Most of that music is so sad and melancholy. I grew up hearing these songs throughout my childhood.


That man died in the backseat of his limo from an combination of painkillers and alcohol at a very young age.

Basquiat died from an overdose. Amy Winehouse died from alcohol poisoning. Why do all these amazingly talented people do themselves in with substance abuse? Whats the connection?

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. My point is this. Just because some of these musicians and artists aren't using the traditional rules of their art form does that mean they should not be taken seriously? I'm constantly defending my own stand on this to the point that I'm questioning myself now.

I would really like to hear what other people have to say about this topic. If you feel inclined, please leave a comment. I'm curious to hear what all 3 of you people who read my blog have to say.

Comments