Reasons For Making Art

Been doing more reading than painting or drawing lately.

Reading An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin.

I'm studying early 15th century art history.

Lots of yard work.

But I have done some things in the studio. Mostly a lot of organizing and rearranging. I did work on the piece below:





I wasn't happy with the ghostly figure in the front so decided to do something about that. Now that figure is even more ghostly.



This piece is so unplanned and so unbalanced. I have no idea where I'm going with it and I don't know if it will be anything but another paint over but I keep plugging away at it.


When I look at this detail I realize I need to work more on drawing portraits. I am not where I want to be as an artist. I keep failing. But failing is better than not doing. If I keep failing then somewhere along the way I will succeed.

I have been doing abstract work for a few years now but I dearly miss my figurative work. I think that is my next move.

I've been thinking about what being an artist means to me. I don't know if I can continue to just paint and draw without feeling like there needs to be some purpose. I tend to want my work to say something. Something more than just look at me. As I read about past artists, the masters, etc I realize how much of that is tied into the history of a society, history of the world. I think art should be a commentary. Should serve a purpose. Reflect the time it was created. Whether it be social commentary or political commentary.

I'm thinking a lot right now about the point to all of this. I'm not trying to preachy. I think every artist does art for their own reasons. I'm just trying to figure out my reasons.

Comments