Inner Life vs. Outer Life

I've been trying to make time for all the wonderful things in my life and to be in the moment with all those things. Its much harder than you might think. My mind is always living in the future by at least a day. Always.
Except when I'm working on new paintings or drawings. I can completely slip into my inner life then and not notice things like how dark its getting outside. How hungry I'm getting. How many times the kids have poked their heads into the studio and asked questions. Everything sort of slips away and time feels like its standing still.
Especially when there is really good music going on. Tom Waits has a new album coming out and I cannot wait. I've been really into Amanda Palmer too. Music makes everything fall into place for me when I'm painting. The final piece that makes everything so perfect in the studio is a good cup of darjeeling tea. At least this time of year. Other times its a good cab or pinot gris depending on my mood. But for Autumn I always turn to my (expensive as hell) darjeeling.
Tea
Music
Art

and other times... wine
These things are my inner life that tend to spill over into my outer life.

And now for an update on the slow progress of these next two pieces:




I'm still struggling to find the open space and depth in that top one. I'm not willing to give up yet but I am a wee bit tired of it.
The bottom one turned into a drawing over a painting over a collage. I'm kind of liking it and it does have some representational elements to it which I haven't done in quite awhile.
Yes, this has been slow going. I can't seem to pick up the pace. I'm working a lot though. It has just been painstaking bit by bit progress.
I've also been doing a fair bit of reading. I'm reading The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters right now for a book club.  I'm fairly new into it so I can't tell you much except that it has a sort of creepy feeling to it. It kind of reminds me of Great Expectations so far.
I'm still reading from time to time, The Omnivore's Dilemma.  The history of our relationship to food is very interesting to me. We American Capitalists have turned food into a moneymaking industry that has changed the way that we look at food. It just fascinates me.
Anyway, my mind is wandering now. My outer life is reminding me that I need to go to work.

Comments