Failed Self Portrait

This one just did not work out. It doesn't look like me and I'm not happy with the colors. I used a thick layer of wood glue glaze over the top of it hoping it would help the color. Unsuccessful.

I can't believe how bad this portrait turned out.

So, I decided to deconstruct it a bit, No where to go but up, right?


Okay. It turned out a bit creepy but it gave me ideas on how to make that wood glue work for me in the future. I consider this one a failure that turned into an opportunity for learning a new technique. I'm kind of excited to try this out on other pieces now.

Comments

  1. May not have been what you expected but I think the deconstruction and exploration that you went through, brought you to an amazing place. Like a Fayum mummy portrait covered in a defiant ooze. A real sense of history here, her/your history. A portrait trapped...steady and knowing in its gaze. Defiant itself in its knowing I am still here despite all that has taken place around me. Very cool my friend. Are you using encaustics with this piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! No encaustic in this piece. mostly paint, color pencil, collage and wood glue. Thanks for the wood glue, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment