Too Far

I am over-painting everything. EVERYTHING! I can't seem to reign it in.



Like this here piece. I loved where it was going from here. And then I kept painting and painting....and painting. AND PAINTING! And now it looks like the bottom of my flip-flop after watering the garden. Just muddy. and smeary. and sigh.

And now I need to finish this piece but I am so afraid. SO AFRAID. What is going to happen when I pick up the paintbrush? Mud again. I just know it. Maybe this one is done. Input? I'm afraid to touch it at this point.

And then there is this one. Well, I do kind of like it but it also kind of looks like a Sci-Fi novel cover and that is not what I'm shooting for. Seriously, I struggle between completely abstract and representational work. I still feel like I'm all over the place in my art. I can't seem to focus in on anything. Except color. You may have noticed I do like the color green.
Well, lets focus on my pop culture obsession for a minute:

Books:
I'm reading Just Kids by Patti Smith and I totally love it! LOVE it. I'm so impressed with her writing. I've never listened to her music but now I feel I need to. I am familiar with Robert Mapplethorpe's photography but now I can look at it with new eyes.  Knowing the artist behind the work does seem to make a difference to me. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. Does that mean that art cannot stand by itself? I always worry about that with my own art. I think I like the art first though, in most cases. Then I want to know more about the artist after discovering their art. I'm a very intimate person and want to know the people I admire on an intimate level.


Music:
Well, I've been holding out on the new Okkervil River album because I felt like they sold out but I'm convinced that they have reached a new level of genius is all. Oh. My. God. I love this new album. I'll no longer be all judgy about the selling out if you think that is what they did. They just really rocked this new album. Just so you know.

Art:
I have always been a Keith Haring fan. I adore him. And I was browsing through some old photos of my kids when they were little and came upon this photo:
Oh My God! He is a child prodigy! Can you not see the reference to Haring? I ask you! I'm going to have to get this boy back to work. Now that he's thirteen he's less interested in art these days. Darn.

TV:
I love my TV. Oh yes I do. But to be more accurate I love my netflix and various other devices for watching TV shows. I don't watch anything as it is currently airing. I don't have the patience for that. I want to be able to marathon through episodes. I can't wait a week! Thats ridiculous. And all the commercials... ugh. So this week my husband and I started watching Dollhouse. Being that we love all things Whedon. And I'm still watching Game of Thrones but I'm saddened by the knowledge that I've only 2 more episodes left and then I have to wait until next season. UGH!

Movies:
Inception...that was my latest movie. I spent a lot of the time thinking WTH? By the end though, I loved it. I want to watch it again just so I can really understand it.

Random:
I'm riding my bike a lot. I've been biking to work and I bike to the store and all other minor errands. I love it. I can't believe I wasn't doing this all along. Oh yeah, I live in Eugene. That rainy business keeps me from wanting to bike. Bleh. I completely forget during these lovely summer weeks.

Well, I'm off to enjoy a lovely glass of Merlot. Hopefully I won't wait a month to post again. But I make no promises.

Comments