The In-Between Moments

It has been awhile since I've posted. I'm not sure why. I do think of it and even find time for it but just don't do it. I've been doing a lot of painting and drawing. I've been pretty focused on my different projects. But I can't seem to organize the chaos in my head enough to write.
Last night I went into my studio and started painting and nothing was coming together. I don't know what happened. I was working on a painting and knew where I wanted it to go but then my hands betrayed me. My paintbrush did something else. I couldn't seem to control the motions and then I started picking up random colors that were not part of my plan before. And then it was a big disaster.
I threw my paintbrush down. I stomped my flip-flopped foot in frustration. I wanted to cry. Its strange how emotional I can get over these little moments. I texted my artist friend and let him know I was ready to start hitting things. He texted back with some sage advice. Get the hell out of the studio. Do something else. Those weren't his exact words but I interpreted it as such.
The weather in Eugene has been annoyingly wet and cold for the longest time. But last night it was balmy. Almost like Costa Rica. It seemed like a good idea to go for a walk. I convinced my husband to come along. We went for a long walk. I felt the warm, moist air on my skin and started to relax. I could smell dirt. Clean, warm earth. Everything was so lush and green and alive. The sky was full of soft, light, white clouds and as the sun went down they became pinky-orange and then blood-orange and then red. It was a perfect night.
When we got back from our walk I decided not to go back to the studio. I curled up on the couch and watched The American with my husband. (I'm not sure I recommend this movie by the way. Not sure what to make of it.) I went to bed afterwards. Yes! I went to bed before midnight! This doesn't happen!
So this morning I'm awake and alert and well rested. I feel ready to try to tackle those paintings again. Sometimes I just have to take care of myself. Sometimes trying to push through the blocks is just not the right thing to do.
The trick is knowing when those in-between moments are and letting it happen. I'm lucky to have a friend that knows when to tell me.

Comments