Weighing my choices...

So, I have to commit or turn down the opportunity to submit work to the Peace Project this week. I've decided that I'm deluded in thinking I can pull this off right now. I get very frustrated with myself when I don't get work done. I compare myself to other artists I follow on various blogs. But then I look at these artists I follow and admire and realize they don't have day jobs. They don't have children. Its as simple as that. I could devote way more time to art if these were not major factors in my life. When I come home I often go sit in my studio(the garage) and try to get work done. But there are days when one or more of the kids comes into the studio and they give me all sorts of clues that lead me to believe they need my attention. And they've been at school all day and they want to interact with me. I have to stop what I'm doing so that I can spend time with them. This is what mothers do. And fathers. I know my time with them at this age is so fleeting. I can't ignore it. Pretty soon they will be graduating high school and if they're anything like I was they won't want to spend any time with me anymore. Its just the way it is. So, my art sits on the back burner so I can be with my kids. This may be frustrating at times but its also good. These are the good bits of my life. I have to stop and smell the roses.

Comments