Rethinking things...

I've been thinking about how I want to approach my art lately. I've been doing a lot of painting. Mostly acrylics but recently I've been working on a bit of oils also. For the first time in years I've not been working on drawings at all. I don't know why. I've always drawn a lot. Sketchbooks full of drawings. But I've moved away from that unconsciously. I feel its absence now. I want to draw more now. So I pulled out my sketchbook and I've started to draw.

My paintings in the last year have been mostly abstract. Not much representational drawing at all. Maybe that is the reason. So if I start drawing again will I feel the need to incorporate that in my current paintings? I don't know. I might. I'm always conflicted in my subject matter. I just know that I want to continue to paint. And sometimes I am so fucking angry that I have to have this day job when all I want to do is paint. Seriously! I just want to paint. All day. But I don't make money doing this and it does cost money so I continue to work at my day job. I'm not complaining about my day job. Its a great job really. A good company to work for and most of my coworkers are good people to work with. Its just that I want to be painting. All. The. Time. Painting.

Okay, I'm done whining. That is not productive and a bit tiresome. I guess I had to get it off my chest. There are so many things that are good in my life and I really don't need to be whining. I guess I'm just looking at my life at my age and realizing that all I wanted to ever do was be an artist. And I am. Just in my spare time.

I've been researching a few more artists to add to my collection of favorites. My new obsession is Ellen Gallagher. I've been reading about her and viewing her work and love it! I like the obsessiveness of her work.

Also, one of my friends has this great website. He is one of my favorite people and is always inspiring in his work. I highly recommend checking out his artwork.

On a completely different subject I've been obsessed with music. I listen to music all the time. ALL the time. I have very eccentric tastes though. I like almost anything really. I like to put my ipod on shuffle just to see how crazy the mix might be. Johnny Cash..Filter....Amy Winehouse....Bob Dylan...Dixie Chicks....Hank Williams.....Snoop Dogg....Blackeyed Peas....David Bowie... Julietta Venegas....Hawaiian music....Krishna Das. I could go on and on and on. I hold very few prejudices to music varieties. If its good to me I listen to it. That is all.

I have a friend who had a band up in Portland, Oregon called Ghost Parade. They have an album called Dying Breed that I really like. I've found that album in my regular rotation as well. Now my most favorite way to listen to music is on vinyl. There really is no comparison. I do listen to my ipod all the time and I'm thankful for the availability of digital access to music but nothing can beat quality music from a turntable. Nothing! I love it.

Well, I do have artwork to post but I don't have pictures available at this time so that will have to wait for the next post. I hope to have even more work finished at that time.

Good night to all.

Comments