Music Monday - David Bowie

So, here is a page from my idea book:



I always listen to music while painting or drawing and large percentage of that time it is David Bowie I am listening to. Some of my ideas for paintings come from my music. I like to brainstorm ideas in my idea book first. I write down the lyrics and think about them while listening to the music. I look for the "shape" of the song while listening. I believe that songs have shapes and colors. 

I will often pick out colors from my collection of torn up paintings and old artwork that I keep in my collage drawer. Sometimes I find images in my photos that work with the song as well and add that to my idea book.

From here I will doodle, write, make notes on what I want to happen with this painting. These entries don't always make it onto canvas right away. Sometimes not at all. But it gives me something to chew on. 

Music is a major source of inspiration for me. 

Comments