Music Muse Monday - 70s Rock (seriously)

I am an 80s girl. I wasted several hours of my youth lying in the dark listening to The Cure, Joy Division, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode and David Bowie (technically I was listening to more of his 70s music than his 80s). I was so tragic and dark. So melancholy. So.... EMO! We didn't have that term back then.



But before I became the dark music junkie of the 80s I listened to music my older brother and sister liked. In small town Oregon it was pretty much mainstream radio music. This is the music for which I feel a special kind of nostalgia.

Hotel California by the Eagles was the first song that I memorized every single word to and listened to it over and over on our old record player that looked more like a gigantic piece of furniture. I have to say that if my mother really bothered to listen to the words of those songs that album may have been banned from our home.

I remember hearing Queen and Lynyrd Skynyrd, Christopher Cross and Gordon Lightfoot. These songs call back my childhood summers on our Southern Oregon farm. My sister sunbathing in the backyard.Wearing cut off jeans and halter tops. Drinking from the backyard hose. Having water fights with my siblings and neighbor kids using empty squirt bottles that once held dish detergent. Playing baseball in the cow pasture, using dry cow paddies at bases. Climbing the plum trees to eat under ripe plums that caused miserable digestive distress. Picking blackberries along the creek and eating to our hearts content.

These memories all come back when I hear these songs and maybe I miss that time a bit right now. I've been listening to these songs on Pandora while I paint. It will be interesting to see where these songs take me in my painting journeys.

Who knows. But I honestly can say that I think I had the best childhood ever. Thank you, Mom and Dad.





Comments