Thanksgiving in Silicon Valley.

 We drove all night long. It stormed the entire way down. We stopped at a rest area somewhere in the middle of nowhere at 3am and took a 3 hour nap. Then drove the rest of the way.
That was quite an adventure. I don't regret doing it. But I don't know that I would choose to do it that way again.
On Thanksgiving day we were all walking zombies from our overnight adventure.
Its sunny and pleasant here in Silicon Valley. Much better than the rain we left behind in Oregon. But one of the things I'm understanding now about this area that I did not see before is the lack of "soul". I have some good friends that lived here for a few years and I remember one of them making that comment. I just didn't see it. I so enjoy being in the bay area and I don't pay attention to those things sometimes. But this time I do see it. The sameness of things. The high-tech, loads of money, loads of shopping possibilities. Its fine. I don't hate it. I do still enjoy it here but I am starting to see how it is not the place I would choose to live in anymore. Eugene offers so much more that is not about shopping and dining out.
Yes, we do have the big money there but its not sleek and shiny and soul-less. There is enough quirkiness in Eugene to keep it interesting. I think I finally feel like I do belong there now.
On that note I'm thankful for what I do have in my life at this time. I have an amazing family and I live in an interesting town. I have the opportunity to come visit the SF Bay area and enjoy the things I love and miss about this area.
So, this is a post not so much about art but in its way it is. All my experiences feed my art. So, this is an experience that will inform my next body of work. This is what it is all about for me.

Oh! And all those pies! Yes, several hikes were in order this holiday. 



Comments